Tuesday 24 April 2012

Ringlets and Springlets

As Spring fills the air and enlivens the Earth beneath my pink-polished toes, a new budding bloom is unfurling in the enriched fertile grounds of myself...

As birds awaken a sunstroke earlier and cheep life into the warmer morning haze, a fuzzy little chicklet, the creation of my egg, is learning how to open and close it's mouth; practices the oval and puckered shapes of a cry, a gurgle and a nuzzle ahead of it's first feed and cry, 5 months from now...

As my little curly girls shake their head 'no' to the clock striking bedtime in what appears to their sunlight-triggered minds to be midday, as their hot tears spring down tired faces and bedtime approaches despite springtime's late West-setting sun... in the midst of it all I wonder whether the little head inside of me is sprouting similar ringlets. Is that crazy-busy-baby in there ready to settle into the folds of mama's belly, as the curly haired girls outside, in the place this baby will one day called home, reluctantly yet immediately burrow their own faces into the crevices of their bedsheets....?

As another new day dawns and I watch the fat little fingers of my toddler work circles on my sunkissed, swollen stomach and thegolden-blonde-crowned head of my big girl moves to coincide with the excitement that she displays with wide-eyed nod to my tummy, I am marvelling at it all. They do not question, they accept. They do not worry, they laugh. They do not think of this lifeform as magic...it just is.

The Springtime, their sibling inside of me, the creation of new, the growth of life- we are enveloped in it all. It is enveloped inside me now. But the curly-haired girls are, to me, the most miraculous part of everything: they disregard the miracle and enjoy the experience.

If only we could all be curly-haired little girls. We would be ourselves and nothing other, be honest about yet nonchalent about our loves and refrain from pretence. Oh to be surrounded by curls... what a wonderful place this would be.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely writing Sian and just.. sighhhh your last paragraphy I adore.. if only we could be!!

    ReplyDelete