Thursday 10 March 2011

A smile.

As usual, I sit here aprés porridge-and-toast-time with my little ones. The elder princess runs off to hoist Polly Pocket out of her house ready for the fun and games that said daughter has undoubtedly been planning since last nights dream and I set baby princess down amongst pillows and toys. She is going to explore her own interesting world of textures, shapes, noises and funny stuffed faces.

It's as i'm carrying out this everyday task that I see it. Baby Princess, or Booboo as we named her in utero, shifts her enormous blue eyes upwards. Looks at me. Smiles. Not just with her pretty little gummy grin but with her eyes. No biggy, hey? 8 month old babies do smile, rather frequently. But she is showing me appreciation in it's truest, purest form. No hint of deceit or deception is lurking behind this toothless expression. She is thankful for what she has: a mama who can provide her not just with her favourite playthings but who delivers constance, continuity, security in the inevitable. Unlike the 'necessary' social pleasantries that are exchanged daily, she is genuine. A rarity.

It's got me. In such a small, usually somewhat unrecognised gesture, this little character has given me a heart full of admiration and she has taught me my lesson of the day: smile, smile, smile. You can't melt away the evils of the Earth but you can sure give a little love to the average Joe, the miserable old git who doesn't return your smile when you wander past them for the umpteenth time  this month on your usual route. It doesn't make a difference if THEY choose to grin or sneer- what is going to make a difference to your own life is which of those assertions that you decide to distribute yourself.

I was once taught 'fake it til you make it'....it works, sometimes. I've tried it many a time, usually when hungover at work and merriment has been feigned to get me through the hours, and it's been relatively successful. But, today attempt to be innocent. Yes, be honest. Make like Booboo, get back to basics and be happy with your lot if only for a minute and when you're right in the midst of feeling the love (yeah, mannnn), just do it: Smile.

Wow, what a lot a little baby can teach us all. By something as simple as a drooling, dribbling, but bona fide beam.

And now my firends, I'm off to brush my teeth before the world and it's wife sees my inner Cheshire Cat coming out....

No comments:

Post a Comment